Wednesday 15 April 2015

A Week Without Wifi


So if you're reading this, you're probably quite similar to me: the internet can no longer be classed as a pastime, or a hobby, but rather an alternate life, that simply runs alongside your regular one whilst they dip into one another occasionally. Although I wholeheartedly agree with this viewpoint, it can get a little concerning when I think about how much I can rely on the internet for everything. It becomes a platform that I spend way more of my life on than doing things away from the screen and this very dependence had me worried that I couldn't function normally without it (starting to sound like an addiction to you? Me too.)

The other day, when I met up with one of my close friends, Ellie, we started discussing this fairly bleak habit that we both harbour. Cue a pact: go an entire week  (Wed 1st April - Wed 8th)  without using the internet. None, nothing, nada. Even the thought of it was nearly insurmountable. An entire week?! Yet this very reaction prompted us even further, for it shouldn't be that hard or shocking to go a short seven days without logging into the nearest Wifi hotspot.

This is the story of how I tried, did fairly well at and then ultimately failed this pact. Yet there's a lot to learn here about how certain aspects of the internet are crucially useful or necessary (without being dramatic) and how others can be easily suspended if we put our minds to it. However, more importantly, this challenge also allowed me to take a step back and enjoy the beauty of the outside for a change. Here we go:

Day 1 was easy, simple and functionally very useful. It being the Easter Holidays, I was in a bit of a dire situation with revision. This first day internet-free allowed me to use my laptop for Microsoft Word alone, getting some much needed lecture notes typed out. It surprised me how long I could concentrate as I'm usually constantly clicking on a Chrome tab every 5 minutes in-between spurts of productivity. However, I hit a bit of a wall when it came to finishing an essay which I was used to backing up in about 5 different places on the internet. I suddenly realised how much I take free online storage platforms for granted, and having them be so accessible to me. So eventually I begrudgingly dug out an old memory stick. For the rest of the day I watched some television, which I hadn't done for a long time, usually opting for iPlayer, 4OD and Youtube to catch my favourite TV shows instead.

The second day was significantly easier as I needed to go to work for around six hours, occupying me with some actual responsibilities. I was subsequently too tired for the rest of the day to think about logging onto anything or doing much else, but I had time to tuck into a book.


The next two days I went away to Wales with the family for an Easter getaway, physically forcing me away from my laptop. If it weren't for a trip away during the weekend, I may not have been as successful as I was. This holiday was beautiful, refreshing and a lovely experience. I got to see some really magnificent views that surprisingly weren't just film-grain photos on my tumblr dashboard.

After two intensive travelling days, a rest day was on the cards. This was my first day of weakness. Whilst I'd been gone, I'd been unintentionally ignoring some urgent emails, receiving some frantic texts in response. I reluctantly logged into the wifi, knowing that these emails needed to be read. Another perk of the internet: face-to-faceless communication. All the important things I have to organise (especially whilst at university) are solved on Facebook message. This meant no good for my week-long abstinence from the net though, and here is where I officially broke it. 

The Monday (6th day) me and the family went to explore again, this time for a beautiful forest walk. The weather was one of the first sunny days we've had in a while and just spotting dogs every few metres made my day.


The last day was another one at home, making everything a lot harder but I was determined to get through it, being the last day and all. After some school work and a walk, I met up with a group of my friends from secondary school to catch up after two terms of university and it was a perfect end to this week, making me realise that conversation, memories and activity is infinitely better than the passive staticism of looking at my laptop screen.

Don't get me wrong, I will always be a firm user of the internet and you bet that I jumped straight on it the next day to catch up on lost time, but knowing that I can just choose to step away from it for one or two whole days at a time and feel no regret, or not feel like I'm missing out, is a great feeling. For all those reading, I urge you to give this a go. You might just learn something about yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment