Friday 2 January 2015

Top 5 Books Read in 2014


2014 was a successful year for reading. I finally completed the 50 books challenge, total books read coming to 62. This was also the first year I started participating in readathons which really helped bump my book count up, so I plan to do some more of these next year. I also started my degree in English Literature where I can finally dedicate all of my time to appreciating the beauty of words. So for my list of the top 5 books that I read this year:


5. The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey

This is one of the first books I read this year and it absolutely blew me away. You can read my full review here. The concept was very well done; an alien invasion which develops into a complex and harrowing series of events. My main reason for having this book on my list is how well Yancey wrote the action. It was simultaneously exciting, fast-paced and nerve-racking. The only problem I had with it was one of the narrators' voices, which irritating at first, was quick to get used it. All in all, it was one of those books which you spend the entire day waiting for when you have another free moment to read it.



4. I Capture The Castle by Dodie Smith

I had this book sitting on my shelf for years until I finally decided to pick it up. I hadn't read a children's book in a long time and this one was absolutely charming. The writing was beautiful and I adored the narrator, Cassandra. She felt so real and I had to get out a pen and underline many quotations and passages when reading this book. The plot itself is rather slow but the characters and the setting is described in such a rich way that you do not get bored. Now a life-long favourite of mine.


3. A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness

Another 'children's' book that was so much more. First of all, this book was so beautifully produced, with stunning illustrations to go alongside the similarly flawless story. The story itself was incredibly touching and moving. It was both fantastical and realistic which elevated it to an extremely enjoyable reading experience. Short enough to read in one sitting but it really took me on a long emotional journey.


2. We Were Liars by E. Lockhart

I heard so many good things about this book before I picked it up and I was worried about disappointment. Fortunately, this book surpassed all my expectations and more. It had such a delicate and intricate narrative which was not only clever but was filled with a lot of beautifully sensuous language. The setting was removed and yet felt startlingly close and familiar. It was a short novel but contained so much within it. A truly saturated novel with one of the best plot twists. Read my full review here. In a nutshell: absolutely brilliant. There was so much mystery and intrigue entangled throughout which made for a compelling read that I genuinely could not put down.

 

1. Chopsticks by Jessica Anthony & Rodrigo Corrall 

This book was nothing like I'd ever read before. Because it was such a different reading experience through photography instead of words, it produced a phenomenal effect. The photos made the whole narrative more realistic as if you were an observer the entire time, simply watching the events unfold in front of you. As well as being visually stunning, the story itself was surprisingly complex. I was expecting a rather simple storyline, but instead received something that was mysterious, familiar and shocking all at the same time. In a way, I felt like Chopsticks encompassed a lot of the themes and elements from my other favourites in this list, creating this extraordinary book made up of everything I enjoy. Couldn't recommend anything more.

Honourable mentions:
- Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
- Since You've Been Gone by Morgan Matson
- A Doll's House by Henrik Ibsen


No comments:

Post a Comment